Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Call It Selfish But It's Better than Crazy Mom




I have been on an airplane 14 times in my life.  10 of those have been since I have become a parent and it has been without my kids.   Actually, I have gone on more vacations and weekends away with just my husband over the past 2 in a half years than ever before and it has been wonderful and absolutely needed.

Before kids we went on trips and spent time away together and although it was fun, I wouldn’t call many of those adventures a necessity.  They were more like a bonus.  Currently, that is not the case.  An occasional break from the long string of endless “Mommy I need you’s”  has become necessity.
Without it, I turn into crazy Mom and nobody wants that; myself included. When it gets to that point I am living in tunnel vision....

 Just put your head down, get in that mini van, and drive right through life....

In the process I become stressed out,  exhausted, frazzled, and unhappy.  That’s when it begins to overflow into my parenting, my  marriage, my self value, and my relationships. 

With occasional and planned out time away from my kids I can avoid crazy mom mode. 

 Time away from my kids actually makes me a better Mom.
 
I know it sounds backwards but it is true.  When I am refreshed and in my right mind (whatever that is) I am not only a better Mom, but  wife, friend, daughter and the list goes on.  I am more patient, loving, kind, focused, and able to give to others.   That’s the way I desire to live my day to day. 
  
But what about childcare?...and schedules?....and finances?  How do we logistically make it work? 

It’s pretty simple. We are intentional. We strongly believe in it so we make time away a priority and push aside the hundreds of excuses not to.  

We find free childcare (usually family or close friends).

We sit down together with our calendar and schedule out months ahead.

We get creative on how much money we spend and don’t always travel.  An occasional “staycation” is good for the soul. 

So be intentional, take that weekend away.  You may feel guilty or judged but that’s OK.  It means you are living real life in reverse and you just may find that you are better for it.  

What are some of your favorite weekends away?  Here are a handful of ours over the years.  

Weekend Camping adventure with friends!

A relaxing day out on the kayaks

Eating out just the two of us

Nashville, TN

A weekend away in Westby

Eating out with friends on one of our "staycations"

Mini Golfing in the Dells

Destin, FL

Beach side vacation with friends (who also ditched their kiddos)

Pretty sure I left my heart in Destin!

Atlanta, GA

    
Wabasha, MN

 
"Staycation" Skiing

We have even been known to complete a house project

Staycation camp out in the living room (and Culver's custard of course)


Comments

  1. Hi Nicki - This is Lisa Chady. I can so identify with this post. We used to get a hotel room in Eau Claire or the Twin Cities and sleep as much as we could in 48 hours. Glad we get more sleep now. We still are very intentional about one weekly installment a year of our honeymoon. We have been judged - probably still are. Oh well, for all the reasons you listed it is very important for our marriage and mental health :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp