Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Easily Pleased

 We have had many goals and aspirations as parents most of which have not been met to our initial expectations as life plays out in real time.  One of those goals is spending one on one, quality time with each of our kids on a regular basis.  We refer to them as "dates".   Originally, we had wanted to take the kids on "dates" on a monthly basis but as one day rolls into another "date days" end up being far and few between.  For that reason when we do them they are a BIG deal to our kids.  The anticipation they create is impressive.

 Recently, we decided it was time to schedule a few one on ones with our kids.  In particular, I had hoped to come up with some new and fun dates specific to each kid's interest.  After some thought and research I decided to take Ava, my music loving Disney watching daughter, to a local production of The Little Mermaid.  For Abby, I had called and scheduled some time at the salon for her first updo since I am pretty sure she is a 16 year old trapped in a 5 year olds body when it comes to fashion.  I was certain these special dates would be the highlight of their years so far.

As the time came closer I shared with the girls what their dates would be and needless to say they did not share in my enthusiasm.  Instead, they both proceeded to inform me that they were not interested in doing "THAT".   Ava insisted on going out for a donut and Abby wanted a quarter to spend on a gumball at the mall.  I tried to reason with them, convince them they were missing out and settling but they dug in their heals and I finally gave up.  They were content with a stale donut and a gumball when I had so much more in store for them. They were settling but didn't have a clue. 




While wallowing in my disappointment a few days later a light suddenly came on.  How often do I do the exact same thing to my heavenly Father?   Just as I desire to give good gifts to my children His heart towards me is even stronger.  How often do I settle for a stale donut and miss out on a grand adventure He has planned? I am really no different from my kids.  It made me think of a quote by C.S. Lewis that I have come across countless times over the past few months.  He sums it up beautifully by saying:

“Our desires are not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”  -C.S. Lewis, Desiring God

May it not be said of me that I was far too easily pleased.  I don't wan to miss out on that holiday at the sea.


Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp