Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

The Familiar

There is something about familiarity and routine that makes me stop and exhale in relief.  These last few weeks have been the absolute opposite, full of new adventure, renewed connections, and exploring unfamiliar places.  It has been mostly exciting with moments of overload and exhaustion sprinkled in.  As I type this post I find myself at Starbucks despite the fact logic tells me I should instead be checking out one of the many new area coffee shops.  My spirit was in need of a break, it was longing for familiar.  

Two weeks ago we made the big move from a place we have grown to love to a place we grew up loving.  Although the boxes are mostly (emphasis on mostly) unpacked and the organizing and redecorating is underway, it still feels surreal to be here.  I have had so many flashback moments as we drive around town yet, without fail, the faint thought of "I just want to go home" has crossed my mind at the end of each night as we sit in what feels like someone else's home full of our things. It's unfamiliar.



Isn't that the way it is with new things- whatever they may be?  We want to rush the process along and instantly feel comfortable but without fail, we realize it simply takes time.  Time to re-establish routine, to re-learn, and to re-evaluate.  Maybe "settling in" to something new is a gift meant to encourage us to fine tune our lives.  It shakes up the ordinary.  We begin to ask the "what if's" and dreams are born.  It forces us to take risks- to grow- to ultimately change.

 I am realizing in this season of newness, where I so easily can become overwhelmed and long for the what was, God has never changed.  He doesn't change.   He remains the same.  My soul can rest in that and so can yours.

 Steady, 
 The anchor for my soul.
He is near.  
and HE is my familiar.  


Hebrews 13:8  "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."    

Malachi 3:6 "For I the Lord do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacobs, are not consumed." 



















Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp