Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

First Impressions



I am kind of a hot mess.  Today I lie in the middle of my bedroom floor, arms outstretched and hair wild among piles of clothes thrown to the floor out of sheer frustration.  I may have cursed the mirror along with every item of clothing and accessory I own.  The words “I have nothing to wear”  became my mantra.  I was having a moment, my own grown up tantrum if we must give it a name. 

 I have a reason the “crazy” came out today.  Tomorrow is a big day- a day of first impressions and my outfit feels like a small part I can control.  

Thoughts swirl around me as I lay there.

Why do I do this?  Why do I care?  Shouldn’t I practice what I preach and trust that character is what leaves the mark?  I think I believe that, deep inside, yet this pull to impress sometimes gets the better of me.   Today is one of those days.



So as always, I look up, let out a sigh towards heaven,  pick the clothes up off my floor, and allow perspective to return and carry me out of the pit I have momentarily sunken into.  As my husband who unknowingly walked into my mess this afternoon stated “no one is really going to care what you look like anyway.” 

Truthful words but poor timing,  bless his soul. 

Tomorrow I will wear an outfit that has been in my closet for years with a tank top under it yellowed with age.  I will walk out on a stage with thousands of eyes on the beautiful family God has given me (lets be realistic- everyone will be focused on my 3 cute kids anyhow).  We will share who we are and give a glimpse into what God has done in our lives as we greet new Church family. 

 First impressions will be made, but likely not on my bracelet or the shade of my shoes. 
   
Life is about so much more than that.  It’s about people and matters of the heart. 


Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp