Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Whole30 - Our End Result

A little over three months ago, my husband and I embarked on a crazy food venture called the Whole30.  I researched it, contemplated it for months, picked a start date, and away we went.

Was it doable?  YES.
Was it difficult?  YES.
Did we learn something? YES.
Did we get end results? YES.

Would we do it again?  Nah!
Recommend it?  Not particularly.

I realized something half way through.  I am not the "diet" type.  Sure, we have made significant changes in our food choices over the years and have developed a new pattern of eating, losing weight and becoming healthier in the process, but it's not a "diet".  It's the way we eat now.  It's sustainable, a way of life, and it was gradual.

The Whole30, not so much.  Now I realize the program is not designed to be a long-term eating program, but I found cutting things cold turkey, made the process really difficult.  By the end of the program I was crazing things I have not craved (or eaten for that matter) in years.

Fast Food?  Yes please.
Frozen Pizza?  I'll take 3.
Spreadable cheese?  The thicker the better.

After 30 days came to a close, the reintroduction occurred (not pleasant), and the reality that I could eat whatever sounded good set in, I went nuts people.  And it was delicious.  

Luckily, life has not continued down that path since that faithful day of junky goodness.  I caught up with my head, reasoned with it, and life has settled back down to a little closer to normal.  Our hope was that the Whole30 would be a reset of sorts for us and overall, I suppose that goal was accomplished along with a few other bonuses.

1.  We lost weight. My husband lost 15 lbs in those 30 days.  I lost about 5 lbs.
2.  A sense of accomplishment- it takes will power to say the least.
3.  Eye Opening.  Read your food labels, I mean REALLY read them.  Kinda nuts.
4.  Awareness of how emotionally driven I can become by food.
5.  We adjusted our goals and revamped a nutrition plan* that works for us.  Reset complete.

So there you have it.   A Whole30 update from the Behnke's as promised.

Cheese curds and ice cream at you- don't -even- want -to- know what time in the morning.  All is not lost. 




* Our "nutrition plan" is really just a handful of general guidelines we have decided work well for our family and in no particular order are: 
- We eat meat about 3x a week, eggs daily.
- Sugar- we eat minimal sugar in our day to day (special events and Holidays aside) with about 2 "treats" a week.
- Processed food we aim for a minimal ingredient list, all of which we can recognize.  
-Full Fat over Low Fat always
-Fruits and Veggies- 4-6 servings a day. 
-Water is our drink of choice along with tea and I have a few cups of coffee a week




 








Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp