Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Summer Stress or Success?

I was well into mile number two on the treadmill, mid-podcast and only half paying attention when a quote captured me fully and brought me back to the present.

“Jesus is not glorified by unhealthy, stressed out people.”  

My first response was one of defense. I began to immediately push away the conviction that had surfaced….. I mean, I was mid-work out…..clearly healthy people work out, right?  ...And running?... It has always been a way to clear my mind and heart reducing stress.

But even in the midst of my justification, I knew this quote was for me.  As much as I desire to be a balanced, healthy, and whole person those closest to me might tell you my life often reflects the opposite.  

We live in a culture that is constantly sending us the message that productive people are busy people.  Underneath that response of busy lies stress and living in constant stress isn’t good for your body, mind, or soul.  So much of living and loving well begins when we are emotionally healthy and spiritually awake.  





Summer is right around the corner once again (someone please tell that to our WI weather) and as my 9 year old announces each morning how many days of school are left I smile on the outside while pushing down fear on the inside. 

Sure, there are things about summer break I adore and am more than ready for.  My lunch packing skills are in dire need of some time off and our pool passes are ready and hanging by the door.

 I love my kids more than words can say and I know that my summers with their wonder looking up and out instead of down into a phone is limited.  Like every parent out there, I want to make the most of the time I have with them.

What I fear most about the summer is my patience.  Somewhere in between the constant opening and closing (if we are lucky) of the doors as they run through the house  either dripping wet or covered in mud, I begin to lose my cool.

Before I know it I’m grumbling under my breath as I step on legos and sweep the kitchen free of crumbs for about the hundredth time that day.  That is where stress enters for me and if I stay there for long, a pattern of unhealthy living begins.

When Mama’s not happy, nobody’s happy.  Or so the saying goes. 

In the midst of that attitude of the heart, I not only begin to cheat myself and my family when I slump into that mid-summer stress, but my God is not glorified either.  Ouch.

This summer I have decided to make a bucket list.  Unlike our previous summer bucket lists that often left us frantically trying to squeeze five unmarked pinterest items into the last few days, this list is meant to be proactive.  




Will I nail this list perfectly?  Not a chance, but as I work on changing my perspective and intentions I’m hoping it will simplify life and allow me to live more fully and present this summer for the sake of myself, my family, and most importantly, for my God.  







“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”
   1 Corinthians 10:31

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Your children will rise up, call you mom, and all will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp