Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Social Media Makes Me Feel Like Crap



Sometimes social media makes me feel like crap.   There I am, minding my own business (well, not really because I am on Facebook), feeling good about life and then it happens.

I see your post.

Of that perfect looking vacation destination.
Your smiling kids calmly sitting in the cart at Target.
Your latest pinterest creation or gourmet 4 course meal.
You and your group of besties toasting to a  much needed night out.
Your perfect husband who surprised you with flowers, chocolates and a day at the spa just because.
Your latest home improvement which looks like it came straight out of a magazine.

And suddenly, my life doesn't seem to measure up anymore and I begin to panic a little on the inside and the feelings rise...  

The jealousy
The greed
The lust
The lack of confidence
The self pity

And those daunting lies that have been pushed to the edge of my conscious time and time again surface, threatening attack on my soul.

My kids aren't enough
My husbands not enough
My friend's aren't enough
My things aren't enough
My abilites aren't enough
My looks aren't enough
I am not enough.  

I would never admit this to your face.... that I sometimes feel this way.  So, I "like" your post and make a mental note that the next time I post something I have to step up my game.  I mean, that is the beauty of social media, right I can appear to be whoever I want to be.  I can paint a picture of half truth and you will fill in the blanks. 

  It's not MY fault if you come to false conclusions and assumptions about my life and then project them on yourself.... that means I won, doesn't it?  I came out on top

This is Toxic and has to stop.  

I have realized lately that I get caught up in this game and maybe you do too.  Of course, I want to share moments of my life with you and I want to feel a part of your moments as well.  Social Media can be a gift when used wisely but it's oh-so tempting to foolishly post and perceive. 

I resolve to begin to go against the norm when it comes to social media posting.  To think twice before a picture is thrown online.  To be authentic and honest.  To share the messy along with the good. To influence positively. To take a much needed break from the newsfeed scrolling game so that my soul has some room to repair.... And YOU can join me. 

How? you might ask.... Begin by committing to one (or more) of the suggestions listed below.  Then, positively influence and bring awareness to your  corner of the social media world by sharing this along with your personal action step.  Social media doesn't have to make me (or you) feel like crap. 

Suggestions:

*Before you post ask yourself these 3 questions*

1.  Why am I posting this?

2.  What false assumptions does this post have the potential to create?

3.  Does this encourage or discourage?

*If you find yourself getting pulled into this game while scrolling*

1. Clean out your friend list.  Who's posts encourage you the most?  Who's posts consistently leave you feeling" not enough"? 

2.  Take a break from Social Media scrolling for a set amount of time allowing your spirit time to mend and fill. 
 


(I personally plan to take a 10 day break from scrolling my News feeds as well as beginning to ask myself the 3 questions mentioned above before I post something.)





 













Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp