Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

My Top Reading Picks From 2016

Somewhere along the line, reading has become a hobby for me of sorts.  Most months, you can find me paging through a nonfiction book as well as fiction book.  I tend to read most of my fiction in the mornings as they require more of my  attention, while my nonfiction books tend to level out my thoughts late into the evening (other than that occasional page turner that keeps me up until all hours of the night!)  

I really have no rhyme or reason on how I choose my books.  Often it is through others recommendations.  My new neighbor is an avid book reader and has been nice enough to pass along a few gems to me as well which has been an added bonus.    

So, without further adieu, here are my top books (meaning I rated them either at either a 4 or a 5 out of 5) from 2016.  Maybe a few of them will find their way onto your to-read list.  Happy Reading!

Fiction, coming in at 4 stars I enjoyed:

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
This book is about two very different sisters sister who face incredible hardships during WW2 that bring about levels of bravery in both.   I love being able to read a fictional story that reflects history in an entirely new light.  

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
This book is also set in the WW2 time frame and is similar to The Nightingale in that sense.  Each story can have such variety because this books takes a totally different spin on it all by allowing you to see it from the perspective of a girl who is blind.  

Where’d you Go Bernadette?  By Maria Semple
This is a very unique and strange story about a mother who disappears and her daughter's journey to uncover the truth.  This book is not what you expect.  I found it to be a fun, easy, and surprising read.  

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
This story revolves around the Victorian Language of flowers and how it captures a modern day orphan.  This book is an enjoyable, easy read that was easy to get lost in each time I picked it up.  

My top fiction pick (5 stars) from 2016 are:

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
This was one of the best "fun" reads I have read in a long time. I loved the element of surprise in this book as well as the way it was told from different perspectives. It was an easy, enjoyable, page turner sort of read.  It’s a beautiful mixture of a long lost fairy tale, a secret garden, an aristocratic family, a love denied, and a mystery.   




Nonfiction, coming in at 4 stars I enjoyed:

A Praying Life by Paul Miller
There are many good books on prayer but this one I would lump in the great category.  I think I underlined half of it and appreciated the practical suggestions along the way.

The Supermom Myth by Becky Kopitzke
Since moving to Appleton I have had the privilege of chatting with Becky and her genuine spirit is also evident in her words on the pages of this book.  The quote “This book isn’t about raising kids, it about raising Moms” says it best.  This book is very well organized  and the topics covered are authentic and down to earth. I could relate to almost all of it. This would be an especially fantastic book to read with a group of friends.  

1-2-3 Magic for Christian Parents by Thomas Phelan
Could the title be any more ridiculous? But that is my biggest complaint. The content was surprisingly simple and I read it in one sitting. I found it to be a very helpful parenting book with lots of examples and great how-to’s.  The method worked almost immediately for us and has become our go-to.  

Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
This book was full of inspiring, research based content on how to engage in  whole- hearted living by embracing vulnerability and imperfection.  If you took her findings to heart, it would likely change the way you view yourself and the world.


My top 5 star Nonfiction Picks from 2016 are:

Simply Tuesday by Emily P Freeman
This book was full of simple but profound concepts reminding me that real life happens in the small moments.   We get so obsessed with “building a life” we often forget to allow God to build a life IN us.  This book was about learning to find breath, contentment, and compassion again.


A Million Little Ways by Emily P Freeman
Yes, another Emily Freeman book!  I may be hooked and this one topped the cake for me. It’s all about how God is within us and wants to shine through us in a million little ways.  I love the way Emily P Freeman is able to reach out and connect with her readers in a way that makes you feel like you are reading about your life. This one is a must read and I found myself slowly trying to take in each word.  






Comments

  1. I have read and liked all your fiction picks except The Forgotten Garden. Guess I'll have to check that one out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp