Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

My Version of Project 333 - From Good to Better Series



Confession:  I am a collector of clothes.  I’m not the type who adds cute new items on a weekly basis but instead tend to hold onto items until they are well past their time.  Homecoming dress from high school? ….You never know.  Baggy jeans?..... It may come back in style….. Cardigan with the pit stains?.... It’s still perfectly fine, I will keep my arms down

On top of my tendency to hold onto clothes, I am also drawn to the clearance section where I pick up an item and think “Hmm, I don’t LOVE it, but for that price, if I wear it once it will be worth it!”  These two tendencies practiced over time have left my closets overflowing and ironically still with the feeling of having nothing to wear. 

I am currently in the midst of a Blog Series titled "From Good to Better" (Check it out HERE) and this month my focus is on simplicity.  I wanted to do something borderline radical in an attempt to shift my current vantage point and see if “less really is more.” 

My first thought was to de-clutter my home top to bottom… you know, like you see on a reality TV show.  Then I thought about how maybe simplicity is more than just a focus on things, but maybe it extends even further than that.  Perhaps it blends it’s fine lines with slowing down, going on walks, enjoying the beauty around us, freeing up my families schedule, or even sleeping 8 hours a night, all of which I attempted this month.  I also toyed with the idea of cutting off my social media accounts for the month, keeping my phone off more often than on, or tucking my make-up away.  Although all of those components make up this abstract concept of simplicity, what I decided on instead was to attempt a “Nicki-version” of Project 333. 

What is Project 333 you may be asking?  The short version is this: 33 items, worn for 3 months.  These items include everything from clothing, to shoes, to accessories,to jewelry,  and outwear.   Luckily, Project 333 does not include undergarments, at-home lounge wear, workout clothing, or wedding rings.   For the most part, if you wear it out of the house it has to be one of your 33 items, end of story. 

After some research and thought, I made a few adjustments to make it my own.  For one thing, I ended up with 44 items and decided I would commit to one month, maybe more depending on how it was going.  I allowed myself the freedom to swap out a few seasonal items (like my sandals for boots) since I began when temps were in the 90’s and may likely see this thing through to snow covered grounds. I also decided it was OK to borrow a few new pieces of jewelry for a wedding I was attending during that time and wore my 'once-a-year heals' which were definitely NOT in my 44 items.  Other than that, I have played by the rules, coming up on the end of my first month and you know what?  I haven’t hated it.  In fact, reflecting on it I think I’ve learned a few things:

1.  I usually tend to wear my “favorites” anyway which end up being the same handful of things over and over again.

2.  Having fewer options cut down on my decision making process (and the stress and unnecessary emotions that come along with it sometimes).  I was actually less stressed out because I had fewer items to choose from. 

3.  I could actually see what was in my closet instead of it’s usual explosive self.  The look of my closet was much more crisp, clean, and simple.

4.  I don’t think anyone noticed or cared I was wearing the same things over and over again. Shocking, I know. 

My conclusion?  Well, I am planning on keeping my 44 items going for another month if that's any indication. (Any joiners for October?)  I am also going to take some next steps in the area of simplicity with these three things:

1.  I plan to part with all of the items I don’t tend to wear or really like all that much.
 
2.  As I shop in the future,  I hope to adjust my perspective and stick to purchasing only items I love, even if the price tag is higher.  (Maybe “quality over quantity” is a thing after all?)

3.  I may look into creating a wardrobe capsule based on each season to cycle through as the seaons change each year. 

And just for fun, here are a few pictures from my month of 44 items…..

Trying to weed through down to my 44 items!   It was like packing for a trip without going anywhere!

My Final Selection from shoes to shirts to my one lonely purse.

On my way out to church, Day 1!

"Coffee with a friend" outfit

This became my "Running Errands" outfit

My neighbor is the best.  Narrowing down some accessory options to borrow for a wedding.

Wedding outfit

A Packer's shirt made the cut.  (I am currently questioning that decision.)

Thankful for this summer dress since September was anything other than cool.  

I cheated.  This raincoat is NOT among my 44 items but logic won out this time as it decided to downpour right at school pick up time.  

Finally cold enough to break out the sweaters! 

Welcome Fall (that and my 2 T's and 1 pair of shorts needed a break!) 




Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp