Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Simplicity in a Suitcase

This year we booked our families first “fly” vacation to sunny San Diego, CA. Our kids, ages 8, 8, and 9 were excited about their first airplane ride while my nerves began to rise thinking about the upcoming airport experience.  (For example, gun, bomb, and kidnapped” are just a few words to teach your 8 year old son NOT to say while in the TSA line.)



To make matters a little more exciting, our direct 3 hour flight had been rerouted and we would now have a layover on our flight there and back again at one of the largest airports in the country.  By layover, I mean 12 hours and overnight.  Oh joy. 

Needless to say, by the time we loaded up the van to head to the airport, I was feeling a bit crazy and in desperate need of this dream vacation we were about to embark on. 





I was also feeling a little overwhelmed with our suitcase situation.  If you have known us for long, you may have picked up on the fact that we don’t always do things by the book.  We had scored some unbelievable airline tickets through a budget airline which resulted in our bags costing about 3 times more than our seat tickets. 

In a moment of weakness, my husband convinced me we could pull off a single suitcase for our family of five.  We would be gone a total of 10 days.  The place where we were staying had a washer and dryer (although who really wants to do laundry on vaca?) and we all know that“shorts take up a lot less room than pants” or so the argument goes. 



I had some serious reservations during the packing process.  Our bedroom looked like organized chaos as I tried to cram 5 people’s things into a single suitcase.  Tears were involved shortly after I proudly zipped the suitcase shut and lugged the giant onto our bathroom scale which flashed back a whopping 30 pounds over.  Well, shoot. (yet another word to not say in a TSA line)

After recruiting my husband to help and multiple suitcase switches, we managed to get it down to the approved size and weight.  I did a happy dance and vowed we would not unzip that thing again until we arrived at our destination.  Which, in case you were wondering, didn’t happen as I found myself sitting on the airport floor only moments after parking at the airport with our items in piles around us.  (still 3 lbs over, who knew?!)





Anyway, our trip was fabulous and the single suitcase was a success.  So much so, that I would totally do it again in the future.  Here are some things I learned from this experience:

I tend to over pack.

I wear half of what I bring.

Most places I go have stores where I can purchase things if needed. (shocking concept, I know)

Having less choices makes things easier.

Navigating an airport without pulling around bags is fantastic.

A quick load of laundry on a trip isn’t the end of the world.

One suitcase equals less mess and laundry coming home.

Jackets and bulky shoes can be worn through the airport.

My family is capable of sharing most toiletries for a week when needed.

Less is more (even if it means more money in your pocket to spend on trip treats!)

You will turn heads…. We often heard with an eyebrow raised, “Only one bag for all of you?...” 


Happy Travels Friends!  Or in the words of Dr. Seuss, “Oh the Places you’ll go.” (You, and all your stuff that is.)



Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp