Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Moody? Me Too.

The weather matches my mood today.  Rainy, gloomy, and blah.  I’m in a slump as I pack away the summer clothes and count the hats and mittens in anticipation of another winter.  The hours of daylight are decreasing and with it my lack of enthusiasm.  We are less than a month into the school year and already have sick kids and missed days of school.  I feel weary and the fast roll of the Holiday season hasn’t even begun. 

I get this way sometimes, weary and I don’t really know why.  I think we all do.  It’s part of being human. 



I jokingly proposed the idea of skipping the tree and traditions to my family this year.  “Let’s jump on a plane and celebrate somewhere warm on a beach?”  My enthusiasm did not catch on.  I think the term “grinch” may have been used. 

I’ll snap out of it.  I always do.  The Halloween costumes will be purchased and our neighborhood will come to life.  A month later, the turkey will be baked to perfection and the tree will go up, lights and all.  I’ll laugh and I’ll smile.  I’ll live in the moment and treasure the special season of parenthood we get to be in.  My heart will be full in the gift giving and in rich tradition.

 All will be as it should be. 

Yet, today I am in a mood and that’s OK.  

Sometimes I think God uses my mood to drive me towards Himself.  He takes the gloom and whispers to my soul, “cheer up, I’m here.” 

He meets me in my quiet moments with reflections of worship. He surrounds me with glimmers of His goodness… through a smile or kind word from a friend.

He reminds me that the rain is an essential and necessary part of a beautiful process.  He slowly shifts my perspective and somewhere in those in-between moments my prayers are turned into praise. 



Life is a long string of seasons.  Seasons of time, seasons of age, seasons of hope, seasons of purpose, seasons of sorrow, seasons of joy, seasons of growth, seasons of contentment, seasons of…..   

It’s in those seasons, in those moods, that we have a choice.  We can live in the moment and be easily pulled high and low.  We can choose the opposite of hope.  We can despair.  We can become short-sighted.  We can lose perspective. 

Or, we can embrace our seasons, with or without joy but always with anticipation and expectancy

If God is who He says He is, if His promises to His people are true, and if my faith has roots, then my journey with Him is one of constant “becoming”.  (sanctification

That means I always have hope.  Always. 

It means I get to live with an edge of joyful anticipation.  He is working all things together for His good.

It means I can look ahead with expectancy.  He will make a way.  He will do immeasurably more. 

And the best part is, even in the midst of my “mood”, His love and purpose for me remain.  He doesn’t love me less or change His mind about me based on my mood.  He doesn’t give up on me.  

Behind the rain there will be sunshine and the result is growth, mood and all. 



Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp