Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Looking Behind

Usually I look ahead to the New Year.  I am that girl who sits with journal open and pen in hand, scribbling down all the possibilities of what the new year potentially holds.  I love to dream and look ahead with great expectations. 

But this year has been different.  Our December was unusually full and has left me feeling busy both on the outside and the inside.  As a result, January snuck up  with great force.  Without my list of goals, I feel a little lost this year.  I’m sure at some point I’ll sit down and look ahead, but I had the thought that perhaps I should start off this year by looking behind first.

Sometimes, looking behind can be just as beneficial as looking ahead.  Despite how the year went, it can bring about a spirit of thankfulness, even if it’s simply that’s it over.

It can bring fresh perspective to things.  As the old saying goes, “hindsight is 20/20”.  It can force us to reflect and ask the question, where have I been and how will that affect where I am going? 

Looking back can be a tool to remind us of God’s faithfulness.  In the good times and even in the difficult, in what ways did God come through?  It can reinforce a sense of security as you see how He has walked with you, is walking with you, and has gone before you too.

On the flip side, looking back also has the potential to bring out some not so good things if we allow it to.  It can leave us feeling bitter, angry, or let down.  It can cause us to compare or maybe even feel lost.  It can cause us to pull away.

Looking back can bring out the worrier in us and along with that an element of fear.  It can cause us to play the dreaded “what if” or "if only" game. 

As natural as it is to chose to review the past in a negative light, I believe God wants us to use it as a tool and reminder of His faithfulness.  I think He wants us to pull out the good and respond in thanks.  He wants our past to be fruitful in giving perspective for the future.  

So as I review 2019 this year I do so with an element of thankfulness.  Was it all perfect?  Not a chance, but it was all good because God was a part of it and working on our behalf.

Peace Out 2019 and Cheers to 2020.

-Nicki













Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp