Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Redecorating Recycling

When it comes to decorating I have no idea what I am doing.  If it weren't for pinterest and a husband with a somewhat "artisic" eye (or rather the ability to recognize ugly) my house would be the epitome of randomness.  My problem?  I like it all.  Give me a little country gone hippie turned ikea mixed in vintage and I am content. 

Luckily, I have come a long way since my first attempt at decorating my bedroom in middle school (98degree posters anyone?) and have learned how to compensate for my "style".   It goes a little something like this...

Step 1.  Find a picture on Pinterest that I like.
 
Step 2. Figure out if I could pull it off in the space I am trying to decorate. I am notorious for choosing pictures with beautiful wall sized windows or 3 story ceiling which doesn't jive with our ranch style 60's home) 

Step 3.  Get a thumbs up from a friend.

Step 4.  Let the decorating games begin!

I have been on a bit of redecorating kick lately and my latest project was giving some life to our built in cabinet that separates our dining room from the kitchen.  I added a little paint which wasn't too difficult other than the fact I had three 4/5 year olds trying to "help" and then spent about 2 hours the following day staring at the empty cabinet with a blank stare.  Pinterest once again saved the day and THIS is where doing things a little differently comes in.  My initial plan was to go out and buy some new decor for my "new" cabinet, I mean, that's what real adults do, right?  Then, my eye caught a little sign I have in the kitchen....

Simplify

I decided to walk the whole house, every room, and see if maybe, just maybe, I already had some pieces that would work.  I thought I might find some.  I was SHOCKED I found it all.  Sure, I have some "bare spots" from the places I pulled from but my "old" things really look like "new" and I didn't spend a dime or end up collecting more stuff. 

What are your best kept decorating tips and tricks? 

THE BEFORE- Not the best picture but you can kind of see the cabinet on the right filled with random pictures.

THE AFTER- A collection of this and that from around the house (even the paint was something I was able to pull off a basement shelf left by the  precious owners.)


My "pinterest" inspirations taken from www.beautyandbedlam.com







Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp