Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Volunteer Family Style



When I sit down and begin to really dream about what I want for my kids I realize it's not necessarily about WHAT they will be but WHO they will be..... will they love when it's hard?.... care when others don't? .... be generous, compassionate, humble, and full of grace?...

 My list is long, often leaving me scratching my head, wondering how to instill those characteristics....afraid that I already know the answer but would rather not hear it..... "model it...  display it....teach it" that little voice inside of me whispers as the spilt milk drips once again onto the freshly scrubbed floor.

It's not easy.  More days than not I feel like the count is against me and I want to throw in the towel.   Then something happens... a glimpse of breakthrough and I realize that all is not lost...maybe, just maybe those characteristics that I desperately want for them are being sparked and fueled.  A sigh of relief and a rush of excitement run through me instantainiously... and so, I keep on and keep dreaming. 

This Easter was the first time my husband and I were strategic and intentional about providing an opportunity outside of the everyday to help our kids become the WHO and not the WHAT.  We decided to volunteer together. 

After the hype of  Easter baskets and egg hunts wore down we jumped into the van and drove down the road to a local nursing home with a plan to hand out flowers and wish people a Happy Easter.

Pretty Simple.

Our three cuties dressed in their Easter best were well received and the smiles, hugs, and high fives they handed out were impactful, not only on the residence and their parent's swelling hearts, but on them as well.  As we were getting back into the van, our 5 year old said "You know what Daddy and Mommy?...We should pray for them so they don't be lonely anymore."....a glimpse of compassion and concern for others...... the WHO... 

Personalizing Easter tags for the flowers they handed out.


The finished project ready to go!



We are not the first family to figure out that volunteering and serving others can be powerful.  (and fun too!)  Check out some of these beautiful "ordinary" families who are living this out.

Be Inspired......

The Sauk Family enjoys volunteering at a neighborhood food pantry.

The Bohrer Family enjoys making treats together and share them with their neighbors.

The Laczny Family  helps out at the food pantry.  Even their little guy pushes the carts around!

The Uttecht Family loves to go caroling at nursing homes.  They said it  is some of the most special times they share as a family.  Plus, they laugh about how their little guy won the old ladie's hearts and left with pockets of candy and lace doilies!


How does you family serve together or what ideas do you have?






Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp