Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

You Need a Vacation

I've got vacation on the brain lately.  Maybe it's the negative temperatures that have gone on for weeks on end or the darkness that closes in by 4PM.  Perhaps it's the mid school year routine, the helping with homework, the nightly packing of lunches - quick baths, early bedtimes, and the Netflix binge watching by the light of the fireplace that follows. It could be those pesky January germs and the dread that they bring. 

Whatever it is, lately, when the Southwest commercial flashes across my screen and asks "Wanna get away?" It's all I can do to not leap from the couch throwing my hands carelessly in the air as the words "YES!" roll off my lips.

Leave me alone for  10 minutes and with the help of the Internet, I  can easily come up with a dream destination followed by a  polished power point presentation on why, how, and why we must make this a reality.  I think my husband finds my enthusiastic ideas amusing most of the time, but every once in a while, he catches the bug and we book it.  Mission accomplished.



I use to scroll through Facebook and roll my eyes at the trips some of my friends were taking but a flip has been switched and now I find myself  truly happy and excited for them.  I even find joy as their trip highlights fill my social media feed.  (Yes I want to see your artistically delicious dessert and your painted toes with paradise in the background!)

 I've come to believe that "getting away" (whatever that means to you) is essential and healthy.  I've also come to realize that it can be a lot of work. (especially if you are camping, don't even get me started on that one...)

Let's face it, there are lots of moving parts that lead up to that big get-away...it's taking time off of work, missing weekly commitments, packing, packing, and more packing especially if your trip includes the kids.  It's researching and booking and budget tweaking.

I guarantee that at some point in the planning and preparation the thought will likely cross you mind "it would have been easier to just stay home!"  But don't do it, don't give in, because well appointed time away is worth while. 

My husband and I have always made it a point to take trips.  Sometimes we go alone (read more about that on a previous post Call it Selfish But it's Better Than Crazy Mom), sometimes we take the kids, and other times we venture out with family and friends.  Each experience fills, refreshes, and even stretches us in different ways.  





Yes, we have been that couple on the side of an abandon Utah road with a vehicle that won't start and  no cellphone service for miles.  Another trip we found ourselves stuck on the side of a Colorado interstate that suddenly shut down in the midst of an unbelievable snowstorm as coyotes literally circled our car. We have had frustrations, arguments, messed up reservations, unforeseen expenses and less than ideal weather.  Ten minutes into our honeymoon my husband may have accidentally ripped the toenail off of my big toe..... (I wish this one was a joke)  The stories that are a result of those adventures are now hilarious and our problem solving skills (and pain tolerance)  were sharpened to say the least!

We have also had those moments filled with sunshine, warmth, and long calm days on the oceans edge with a good book in hand.  We have had the opportunity to be surrounded by natural beauty that fills you with awe.  We have tried new things, eaten raw oysters (gag), and had our travel plans go off without a hitch.  We have laughed with friends late into the night and experienced the excitement of an adventure through our children's eyes.  We have even come in *under-budget. (OK, just once, but it still counts.....)







My point is, getting away is worth it.  It's worth your time, your effort, your sacrifice, and it's worth your moments of struggle too.  The saying is cheesy and overused, but has proven to be true for us.  The memories made really are priceless and we hope to smile over them together for years to come.





*  I want to acknowledge that not every family may be able to drop everything and go somewhere for numerous reasons (cost, time off at work, tough stages of life, etc).  A while back when our budget was tighter, I wrote a post on how we have vacationed for less.  Feel free to check it out HERE keeping in mind the price examples given are dated.




















Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp