Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Camino Post #2 We Made It!

Two planes, two shuttles, two Uber rides,  one train, and a 2 mile walk later we crossed the Portugal/Spain border arriving in our starting city Tui, Spain. After a good nights sleep and a few espresso’s (yes, even my non coffee drinking husband has given in) I think it’s safe to say Spain has already captivated us. 

We spent the day dreamy eyed as we wandered the cobblestone streets and toured a Cathedral. Not many people speak English and our Spanish lessons reach back into our High School days so we are surrounded by a language that sounds like music as it ebbs and flows all around us.

Currently, I am especially grateful for Google as we try to decipher menus and my biggest concern is the fact that I’ve taken so many photos on day 1 that my phone will reach its limit at this pace. 

Today we noticed things like laughter and marveled at the fact that it’s universal no matter your language. We took notice of a culture that seemed more paced with less phone use and more people simply sitting and taking the environment in. Around every corner we noticed beautiful things from the brightness of flowers against ancient walls to spectacular splendor of Cathedral tours reaching towards heaven. 

Tui is right on the Camino route and as we were sitting outside the Cathedral we watched our first pilgrims walk through likely at the end of a long days walk. They looked happy but tired and as we both watched them pass I think the reality that will be us tomorrow began to settle in. 

Our hearts are full of anticipation even though we are going into it with open hands and also with no expectation of what might be received.  

Ian Morgan Cron puts it well; “A pilgrimage is a way of prayer with your feet. You go on a pilgrimage because you know there’s something missing inside your soul, and the only way you can find it is to go to sacred places, places where God made himself known to others. In sacred places, something gets done to you that you’ve been unable to do for yourself.”

I’ll end todays post with a prayer we are keeping before us as we begin our walk tomorrow. We would invite you to pray this prayer yourself as you walk throughout each day too. 

Buen Camino,

Nicki & Paul


Welcome, welcome, welcome.

I welcome everything that comes to me today, because I know it's for my healing. 

I welcome all thoughts, feelings, emotions, persons, situations, and conditions.

I let go of my desire for power and control.

I let go of my desire for affection, esteem, approval, and pleasure.

I let go of my desire for survival and security.

I let go of my desire to change any situation, condition, person or myself.

I open to the love and presence of God and God's action within. 

Amen.

(Prayer by Father Thomas Keating)

















Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp