Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Kid Lunches Real Food Style

I will never forget walking through the grocery store a few days before our 3 kids were coming home.  I had no idea what to buy, especially when it came to lunches.  At that point, in our 8 years of marital bliss pre-children, lunch wasn't a daily occurrence for us.   It took some time and a little research and practice, but making my kids lunch has become one of the "Mom Highlights" of my day.  (Keep in mind it's competitors are things like laundry and cleaning so the term is relative!)

I feel like I have found balance and what works well for our family.  I feel like its something I have become semi- good at it.  (It's OK to say that about yourself sometimes)  And I actually have "fun" doing it most days.  

Many of you have asked for specifics on real food eating with kids and how we manage it.  While I do not claim to be an expert in any sense,  below are some thoughts and examples of what has worked well for our family thus far.   Take all of it, some of it, or none of it. Just be encouraged that real food lunches are possible if it's something your interested in.     

1.  I aim for the rainbow.  You've probably heard the popular word picture of trying to make sure you have eaten all of the colors of the rainbow each day (and we aren't talking skittles here).  While I don't sit down with a checklist each day to make sure we hit them all, I do try to pull in as much variety as possible in an attempt to provide an array of different nutrients. 

2.  I try think outside the box.  PB&J, mac and cheese, and chicken nuggets don't have to be the only option.  We really like things like pancakes, eggs, a handful of nuts, beans, or a muffin as the "main lunch dish." 

3.  We drink water only.  I am not a fan of the sugar content in juice and don't buy into the whole milk mustache thing, so we keep it simple and drink a whole lot of h2O around here. 

4.  Servings:  In a typical lunch I try to  provide the "main dish" (grains or nuts), 2 servings (plus) of veggies, 2 servings of fruit, and a serving of dairy (almost always plain, full fat yogurt). 

5.  Visually appealing.  I LOVE divided plates for kids.  Not only is it fun but it's a helpful reminder for me to add variety.  Why they seem to eat  so much better off a "fun" looking plate vs. my white Corelle is beyond me but you go with what works. 

Leftover Homemade pizza is worth saving.

Cold Asian Pasta Salad from Damn Delicious as well as hummus hidden under the veggies.

Ants on a Log and Guacamole are a favorite!

Tip:  Freeze pancakes ahead of time and defrost for an easy peanut butter pancake sandwich.

Texas Caviar is a great way to get some beans in.

We love these hearty peanut butter banana muffins from Real Mom Nutrition.

Scrambled eggs loaded with veggies and beans



What's your favorite thing to make for lunch?








Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp