Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Reflections on Perfection



When I think about the concept of being perfect or having it all together I certainly am not the first person who comes to mind.  You know those days….

When my kids break something again and I lose it, sending the hidden message that stuff is really what matters most ….

When my  4 year old proudly picks out and displays a mismatched outfit and I wrinkle up my nose and tell her to go change crushing her creativity and unintentially sending the message that achievement is more important than effort...

When I mumble and grumble in the 3 seconds it takes me to pick up my husband’s dirty clothes that he has once again left on the bedroom floor completely ignoring that he helps  get the kids up and out the door each morning not because he has to but because he wants to.

When I log onto Facebook and within minutes find myself comparing, coveting, and longing not stopping to recognize that most of what I am seeing and perceiving is not reality. 
 
Those days I accidentally put a red shirt in the white load of laundry, reach for cumin instead of cinnamon,  and show up at the wrong school at the wrong time to pick up the wrong kid.

I am an imperfect person, surrounded by imperfect people, living in an imperfect world.  So why does it seem to be engrained in me to expect perfection out of myself and others?  
  
When I choose to live counter culturally, expecting life to be imperfect, messy, and challenging I become more of the person I want to be. 

 I extend grace to myself and others more freely. 
 I become more authentic and have deeper relationships.    
 I feel the sense of “failure” less.  
 I am more grateful . 
  I stop trying to control, compare and criticize
 I become more courageous, confident, humble, and loving.

You've heard it before and I will say it again "nobody is perfect" and maybe that's not such a bad thing after all.  Maybe it's time we start accepting our imperfections, setting realistic expectations for ourselves and others. 




*My reflections from the "No More Perfect Women" Conference with author and speaker Jill Savage.

Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp