Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Mentoring



"Spiritual mentoring is desiring to be in another's life, not to change or correct her, but in order to lavish grace and truth on another weary traveler" -Ele Parrott, Transforming Together

If we are honest, a mentor of some sort is what most of us, especially as woman, desire.  Someone to look up to who is likely wiser and a little more seasoned.  A woman who listens with an attentive ear and has the ability to speak truth gently into our lives.   It's "lavishing grace and truth on another weary travelor" as Ele Parrot states it so beautifully in her book entitled Transforming Together.

Both being mentored and mentoring can be a powerful and beautiful thing when done in the right context.

I have been on the receiving end and have had some incredible woman "mentor" me through various stages of life.  Whether it was a consistent youth group leader who encouraged me and prayed for me through those teen years....the youth Pastor's wife who was newly married as I found myself engaged.... another "older" woman who walked along side of me through the transitions of post-college life.....and my most recent mentor who has done an amazing job "mothering" her kids and can now look back and share the good along with the bad.   

Each one of these beautiful woman have opened up their hearts, made space on their calenders,  and shared their experiences with wisdom leaving deep impact on my soul.

I have also been on the giving end and have  had the opportunity to mentor.  No matter your age there is always someone younger than you, in that season behind the one you are in.  Sometimes it felt messy or awkward.  I can tell you at times I certainly didn't know what I was doing nor did I have it all together myself.   However, I trust God used my willingness, listening ears,  and prayerful spirit, to make an impact on other woman.  I was surprised to discover that mentoring usually made an impact on me as well.  Although you'd expect it to be draining I usually left those meetings feeling full of life.

If you are a "younger woman" and find yourself hoping for a mentor of some sort but don't know where to begin you are not alone.  It takes courage to approach someone and ask for not only their time but for them to share a part of themselves with you.  I found myself stuck in this mindset for a handful of years as I prayed daily hoping God would just drop someone into my life and SHE would approach me!  Well God is totally capable of bringing a mentor into your life in that way if He wants to,  it doesn't always mean He will.  Sometimes you just have to find the courage and ask

Maybe you are the "older woman" and the thought of mentoring someone intimidates you.   Please know that most of us aren't looking for perfect but rather someone who is authentic and real.  We want someone who can relate to our often messy lives.  God can use your past and your present, no matter how broken, imperfect, or boring it may seem to you.  Look around and notice the younger women that are in your life.  Invite them out to coffee or simply work up the courage to interact.  Most of us are watching and hoping, often held back by fear. 


Titus 2 is the go-to chapter on this "call" to mentoring relationships.  I truly believe we'd be different woman, better woman,  if we took the time and energy to make intentional mentoring a priority.

"God is looking for women who desire Him, women who long to be authentic with Him so that He can entrust deep relationships to them- relationships that invade another person's reality with God's truth". -Ele  Parrott

 I have truly been encouraged, shaped, and blessed by the mentoring relationships I have been fortunate enough to be a part of so far in life. I am so grateful that mentoring is God's plan and a part of His design.   



    









Comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe to receive emails from Real Life in Reverse.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp